Saturday, July 19, 2014

One of the most inspiring libraries in the world

I love libraries.  All that knowledge in one place!  It's so inspiring!

When I was a little girl, my goal was to read every single book in my local library.  I actually thought I could do it.  It's still on my Bucket List.

Let me introduce you to the Admont Abbey in Admont, Austria.  It's the world's largest monastic library in the world, as well as the largest scientific collection.  Talk about inspiring!


  library


The Abbey was founded in 1074, but the library wasn't built until 1776 by the architect Joseph Hueber.

library

It was built in the famous late Baroque style and fit with sculptures by the sculptor Josef Stammel.  It has over 70,000 books on its walls, but actually has 200,000 books in total.

The artwork is in the Baroque style and includes fresco paintings that illustrate  the stages of human knowledge up to the high point of Divine Revelation.
library

No comments:

Post a Comment