Monday, January 30, 2012
The Amazon Kindle was the company's biggest seller out of all their merchandise this last Christmas. Publishers, authors, and readers are all wondering what the future holds for books actually made out of paper. I seem to think that a true book lover just can't resist the feeling of a real book in hand...that being said, I'm one of the recipients of a Kindle reader from Santa last year...
Jonathan Franzen, the author of Freedom and The Corrections, launched a passionate defense of the printed book—and an attack on e-books—at the recent Hay Festival in Cartagena, Colombia. “The technology I like is the American paperback edition of Freedom I can spill water on it, and it would still work! So it’s pretty good technology,” said Franzen. “And what’s more, it will work great 10 years from now. So no wonder the capitalists hate it. It’s a bad business model.”
Wondering whether nonelectronic print will be around in 50 years, he said he fears that “it’s going to be very hard to make the world work if there’s no permanence like that. That kind of radical contingency is not compatible with a system of justice or responsible self-government.”
So what do YOU think? Will you be reading "real" books in ten years? Do you own an e-book reader? Love them both? Need them both? What would you say to Jonathan Franzen?
Wednesday, January 4, 2012
Right before Christmas I told you about a fun contest sponsored by the Big World Network. The contest was a big success that drew a lot of new visitors to the site. If you haven't had a chance to check out the free books on their site, go to www.bigworldnetwork.com
Following is the list of winners. I've tried to contact everyone personally by email or Facebook, but if you're on this list and haven't heard from me, please let me know!
* Jennifer Johson * Andrea Hecklinger * Nancy Grasseschi
* Kari Tuttle * Susan Pixley * Cindy Hogan
* Stephanie Nelson * Tawn Makela * Shara Edwards
* Celeste Estes * Donna Hatch * Allison Mudliar
* Annette Coffee * Andrew Gallen * Manuela Bega
* Jill Mitchell * Cricket * Nicole Budge
* Catharine Rasband * Debbie * Tera Duncan
* Will & Gemma McCoy * Renee Dunkin * Heidi McClellan
* Shara * Joel * Jim
* Kristen * Tracey Long * Nikki
* Rosemary Cantrell * Trisha * NJM
* Marci Mathison * Trisha Wilson * Nancy
* Vicki Washuk * Katrina * Kristen Robison
* Willow Lady